Total: 404252600
Today: 22190
Yesterday: 16100

Items: 9505
Mobs: 4024
Recipes: 3285
NPCs: 2066
Quests: 570

Final Fantasy XI Discussion BoardDiscussion Boards -> Site Comments, Updates, and Corrections

Leaping Boots - Petrifying Pair BCNM

Posted: 2005-08-08 18:15:36
The BCNM30 Petrifying Pair in Ghelsba Outpost now drops Leaping Boots. We won the BC 7 times for a total of 3 boot drops. It also seems that the boots are common b/c Sandoria AH had a few listed and some sold for 300k...

Considering it is now confirmed that Under Observation drops PCC and that Royal Jelly drops Archer Ring, and now a Lizard BCNM drops Leapers, I'm going to make the guess that BCNM30 Dropping Like Flies drops Emperor Hairpin.

-Below is a guide for the BCNM if you're interested.

If you're looking to beat BC30 Petrifying Pair, it's pretty easy. However, you'll need a Redmage for Gravity. The Lizard on the right is gray and very susceptible to the spell. In fact, it lasts as long as Gravity's recast timer. Meaning you can literally keep the monster weighted as long as the battle lasts. It also seems to make sense aesthically that the battle would make you essentially lose gravity for the purpose of kiting. Remember that the effect of weight severely reduces a monster's evasion. This battle basically is designed so that you cannot use blinding potions and still manage a win.

For your other two members, I'd recommend a tank and a DD. We had War/nin and a Mnk/drg. Not to brag, but both had superb gear. War had all Kampf gear.

The reason a MNK is good for this fight is due to the difficulty to hit the lizards. Read: At start of fight both use Evasion Up ability. The idea here is so that you Cant hit them if you use blinding potions. (If you are blinded you can't be Petrified which these monsters use a la the BCNM name. But, DONT use blinding potions. You will miss just about every single time making this battle much more difficult.)

Ok. Back to my original point about MNK's being good at the fight. MNK has access to a weapon named Tropical Punches which does ACC+10. On top of that, there is a 100K +1 version that does +12. The DLY factor on the weapon is 0. Meaning you get a lot of accurate swings at a hard to hit monster. MNK/BRD might even work w/ casting Madrigal on himself and Tank.

A BLM would make another acceptable DD for this due to the fact his spells are not at all based on a monster's evasion. SJ RDM for speed or SJ SMN for extra int and extra MP. Either would work. Hell go w/ SJ WHM for cures. Up to you.

Your Tank can be just about any tank job. War/mnk, War/nin, Pld/war, Nin/war. Tank this like a normal exp monster. Not much else to be said. The PLD or NIN *might* want to blind himself. I can't say due to the fact we had a War/nin that used GAXE. (On that same note, Waris best for this due to the fact that his GAXE can have ACC+5 from Neckchopper. In fact, another War/nin could probably be the Other DD.)

Now you will need to spend some money on items for this fight. All of your members should be self sufficient. The two Melees should bring at least 3 Hi-Potions (restores 100HP) and 2 Milks (Pamama and Pear work well. No need for Persikos) per battle. The mages should bring at least 2 Hi-Ether and 3 Yagudo Drinks per battle.

Just on reflection on my teams runs. We lost our first three fights to this due to the following reasons:

1. We used Blinding Potions. Simply, Don't. You can't hit. The Petrification hurts. I'm not going to lie. But, it's not as bad as not being able to kill the lizards.
2. We did not bring any Potions or Ethers. Simply, this was the biggest factor overall. You need them. They're only 4k each.
3. I was new to kiting. If you're the RDM I'd do some practice on this. Once you get the methodology down, it's severely easy.
4. MNK had Enmity gear (Baron's Hat) and was a taru. Bad...

These were our big mistakes. I'm sure if you have a different set-up it may be difficult for you, and you'll run into some problems. If you lose the first time, don't sweat it. Good luck. Email me at madd.dawgg@gmail.com if you have any questions. I had a good time learning this and my bro, Patarak, and my good friend, Killerofall, shattered the record by over 2 minutes once we mastered this.
Administrator

Posted: 2005-08-10 00:44:50
Thanks for the info; good strategy there, as well. The Petrifying Pair BCNM has been updated with the drop.
Sponsors

Order: Final Fantasy XI Online: Wings of the Goddess Expansion Pack (PC)(PS2)(XBOX 360)
somepage.com privacy policy
All original content and graphics © 2004-2010 Somepage.com, Inc.. All FFXI content and images © 2002-2010 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. FINAL FANTASY is a registered trademark of Square Enix Co., Ltd..