Mobs: 4024
Recipes: 3285
NPCs: 2066
Quests: 570

Final Fantasy XI Discussion BoardDiscussion Boards -> General

Fishing Database

Administrator

Posted: 2005-09-06 17:55:44
Hey folks, we're looking at putting together a fishing database in the near future, that would tie in with the rest of the site. It will have all the fish with skill caps, where they can be fished up, what rods/bait it takes to get them, etc.

We have a number of links to various fishing information and databases in our FFXI Links section; the one that seems to be the most popular is the Clanwind Fishing Database. What we're looking for now is feedback on what you fishermen would find most useful, beyond the information displayed in that database. Is there anything else that needs to be put in a display for fishing, any new information required with change in the fishing mini-game?

Post your ideas/feedback here, and we'll compile it in a few weeks to determine exactly how to put together the database. I can't promise that any particular idea will be implemented, but we'll certainly take them all into consideration. Thanks in advance for your help!

-- Cuer

Posted: 2005-09-06 19:28:09
An updated fishing database would be greatly appreciated from the fishing community. Clanwind is horribly out of date, and a new, up-to-date database would be extremely helpful.

The biggest addition to a new database woud be accurate information on the new fishing areas from CoP.

Also, correcting some known inaccuracies in clanwind would be very helpful. For example, Gugru Tuna breaking a composite rod and Lungfish being catchable in Carpenter's Landing North. I'm sure there are other discrepencies.

Another helpful adddition would be able to search rusty items by zone. This would be helpful for people skilling goldsmithing or smithing on fishabel items.

The only other thing I can think of if for unmarked bodies of fishable water to be identifiedd by position. For example, Crystal Spring in Jugner Forest is not marked, and Clanwind lists it as Jugner Forest - Crystal Spring.

The same holds true for La Thien and the tiny pond at L-10. As farfetched as it sounds, even people have trouble finding the north shore or ice opnd in Qufim Island. So, I think positions in some zones would be helpful.

Posted: 2005-09-07 14:00:21
I think it's generally agreed upon that Clanwind has the best setup of any of the existing DBs, it's just that it's missing so much at this point. The new system has made it so much easier to ID what fish is biting your hook, as stated above a lot of old mistakes can be cleared up now (namely, what breaks a Lu). Halcyon & Hume rods are also completey missing from Clanwind.

The only thing I'd caution against, which I'd think running somepage you're probably already familiar with, is people purposely poinsoning the data by reporting totally false stuff. When someone submitted feeback, Belwyn used to post up a topic for other fishers to confirm or deny the new information. He'd usually post up on both Marissa's & Titanictus, not sure if you guys would want to continue doing that or rely on your own forums.

Posted: 2005-09-07 14:19:34
The same system you use to display Notorious Monster locations might work well for a fishing location; perhaps one could click on the name of a location to see a map marked up with fishable bodies of water. It took me forever the first time I tried to find the Bastok Markets Storage of Water.

I started on a new fishing database myself, but it was going to have to reference a ton of information from your (excellent) database anyway. It would be even better if you did it ^^ I'd expect that the fish would be tied into recipes and quests in which they could be used.

Certain fish are more difficult to catch than others. Some of the people at titanictus.com started to rate the fish in terms of stamina and energy. You might try contacting Icemage there for this info. Your post on Marissa's forum was reposted there by Twyleth, so hopefully people will make their way here and offer suggestions. Titanictus is more of a technically oriented fishing forum.

Additionally, fishing fatigue comes up sometimes as kind of a hot (and still less than transparent) topic. It seems that different quantities of each fish are required to fatigue a fisherman; one can fish up 200 Moat Carp, but far fewer Cave Cherax or Coral Fragments. Fishing level may also be related. It would be cool to try and address this in some fashion, although as I said...information is fuzzy.

As you may know, the NPC resale value of fish was halved when the fishing system was changed. Clanwind's database also does not have any data on the Hume or Halcyon rods; I'd be happy to help provide some.

Posted: 2005-09-08 15:48:18
I'd like to be able to search up mobs that can be fished. Clanwind has that info in their database, but I can't look for certain ones.

It definitely would be nice to see the guess-timate ratios of fish available in each reagion, like Moats being 90% and Sandfish being 10% in Rabao but that may have some implications to the selection of bait.

Also ranking of baits to use to catch each fish is useful. Like I found out Sliced Sardines is really not the way to go for Bluetail even though it is possible to catch Bluetail with it. I didn't have the opporutnity to catch it using Peeled Lobster for example to compare, but you know what I mean.

It would also be nice to see a estimation of difficulty for a fish per rank at the fishing guild.

Posted: 2005-09-14 12:52:04
I liked a lot of what Clanwind's Database had, but I think it needed some more choices in regards to how reports were displayed. Reports took the same basic form, even if you were filtering specific things. So I generated my own page with data from around the time CoP was released, you can see the page here:
<url>http://home.comcast.net/~jmh354/fish.html</url>

What is handy about this display is that instead of getting a list of fish showing all the areas and baits they are found in. I got a chart of the combination's of Location/bait that displays what I'll catch. This is great for finding the best places to fish when targetting specific fish.

Granted that chart is unweildly large, perhaps there would be a way to generate a report showing location/bait combos that only catch 1 fish, 2 fish or less, etc. Or for each Fish, provide a list in its details to the same affect...

Thank you for making the best FFXI site on the internet!!

Posted: 2005-09-18 15:48:14
It's been a few weeks -- I'm just wondering if there's a timetable on completion of this project yet? Would be nice to have it up by update time in case they add new fish for the treasure maps.
Administrator

Posted: 2005-09-19 13:07:57
Thanks for the feedback so far, folks. We will be working on this in the near future, although I don't expect it to be completed and available to the public before the next patch. All these ideas will be given due consideration when designing the fishing database.

Posted: 2005-10-07 08:42:47
Recently I've been using

www.fishermanrods.net/database_e.cfm?genre=0

Since clanwind still seems to be missing some of the newer fish.

Posted: 2005-10-15 17:17:48
I would just like to echo what Moreana said. The only problem I had with the excellent Clanwind site was the lack of guidance in choosing a bait to catch a specific fish. Clanwind listed all baits which could catch a given fish, but no clue which was best. I don't know how easy this would be to determine, but it would be a big help to have some kind of ranking.

Oh, and a ranking as to which rod is best for a given fish. There are so many rods out there, I am at a loss.

Posted: 2005-11-22 14:11:24
I actually don't really use any of the fishing databases; I usually just take a look at akirus' Post-Update Fishing Guide 0-100 on advice on what to fish. It's incredibly detailed and akirus really knows his stuff on the new fishing system. He also addresses stamina, fishing, poles, and a variety of other fishing-related things.

I suggest asking if akirus would be willing to contribute to the fishing database as well.
Sponsors

Order: Final Fantasy XI Online: Wings of the Goddess Expansion Pack (PC)(PS2)(XBOX 360)
somepage.com privacy policy
All original content and graphics © 2004-2010 Somepage.com, Inc.. All FFXI content and images © 2002-2010 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. FINAL FANTASY is a registered trademark of Square Enix Co., Ltd..