Total: 404224897
Today: 10587
Yesterday: 23947

Items: 9505
Mobs: 4024
Recipes: 3285
NPCs: 2066
Quests: 570

Final Fantasy XI Discussion BoardDiscussion Boards -> Site Comments, Updates, and Corrections

Potion and Ether Drops Medicate

Posted: 2006-04-28 13:47:42
I do not know if this is true for all Concoctions, but Ether Drops and Potion Drops give Medicated status for 5 minutes. Additionally, since Ether Drops only give +15MP that means that you'll probably get better use out of juices or from regular potions. The stacking ability is relatively weak in light of these facts. Potion drops, however, are +60MP--equivalent to Potion +1 which increases their value a bit, but I don't think the 5 minute medication timer justifies their use. If I had known about the timer, I probably wouldn't have spent 20,000 Guild Points on Concoction. Do Hi-potion/Hi-ether drops give this same status (I've never eaten/made any)?

I have found that using Potions at lower levels enables me to fight significantly tougher monsters, but I field-craft them to save space--I take 2 potions and 12-stacks of Distilled Water, Lizard Tails, and Sage with me replacing the 2 potions as they are used. This method is extremely economical as the ingredients are all really cheap and takes 6 spaces instead of the 14 it would take to carry that many potions with me. The only drawback is the 40 Alchemy skill required to do this, but it could be quite useful in PT for low-levels like Valkurm Dunes.

Posted: 2006-05-02 02:14:06
i can vouch for the 5min timer on hi-pot drops

Posted: 2006-05-03 13:11:26
I'm up to Hi-drops now. They do sell and are quite useful. Even when Medicated, you can still consume liquid potions. My recommendation for their use is to carry a stack of Drops and one or two liquid potions to supplement them. I have found that the 5-minute timer on Hi-Potion drops does not hinder me greatly as I do not generally use multiple Hi-Drops within a 5-minute span (and if I need to do so consistently, I'm probably in over my head and need to change zones). The liquid potion is for a buffer in case of emergency. Potion drops are useful for low-levels when used in conjunction with liquid potions. However, since resting time for low-level characters is relatively short in comparison to the average Hi-Drop user, the Medication timer may still be active when the next use is indicated.

The Ether drops seem to be nearly useless. I haven't made any Hi-Ether drops yet, but noting that the Hi-Ether potion has an incredibly long use timer (something like 5-seconds, I haven't timed it), they may be very useful if their use timer is significantly shorter.

Posted: 2006-05-12 15:23:27
The use timer for Hi-Ether drops is significantly shorter than the normal Hi-Ethers. Drops go off in about 1.5 seconds. Generally I carry a stack of these Hi-Ether drops with me, and a much cheaper, but less practical Hi-Ether tank.

Hi-Ether drops give 45MP in 1.5 seconds with a 5minute reuse.

Hi-Ethers give 50 MP in 5 seconds with unlimited use.

Posted: 2006-05-22 15:04:24
Very nice. I'll have to make some of them ^^
Administrator

Posted: 2007-01-02 20:18:35
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We\\\'re looking into how to display the \\\"medicated\\\" status, and this info will certainly be helpful with regards to that.
Sponsors

Order: Final Fantasy XI Online: Wings of the Goddess Expansion Pack (PC)(PS2)(XBOX 360)
somepage.com privacy policy
All original content and graphics © 2004-2010 Somepage.com, Inc.. All FFXI content and images © 2002-2010 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. FINAL FANTASY is a registered trademark of Square Enix Co., Ltd..