Total: 404229715
Today: 15405
Yesterday: 23947

Items: 9505
Mobs: 4024
Recipes: 3285
NPCs: 2066
Quests: 570

Final Fantasy XI Discussion BoardDiscussion Boards -> Site Comments, Updates, and Corrections

spyware issues - IMPORTANT Please read!!

Posted: 2006-03-14 09:53:35
To any administrators that may read this:

Any ads on this site that run through yieldmanager.com install adware and spyware on PCs that can be very difficult to remove. It is irresponsible to leave these ads up due to the threats they pose to the users of this site.

I'm unsure of how to contact this site's administrators directly, so if anyone who is capable of doing so happens to read this, please direct their attention to this post.

To anyone else who reads this:

I accidentally hit an ad while switching tasks and I had a wide array of popup-based adware installed on my computer. Some of the popups further contain dialers and trojans that can actually allow others to access information on your computer, some of which do not even require clicking on them for them to start downloading and installing the viruses. PLEASE BE CAREFUL ON THIS SITE! If you're getting popups that resemble any of the sidebar ads on this site, please look into obtaining and running Ad-Aware (Lavasoft) or NOD32 (Eset). Also, you can put www.yieldmanager.com into Google, like I did, to get some ideas on how to deal with the problem a bit more directly if you're good at understanding and modifying computer code.

Again, it is irresponsible for the site administrators to leave these ads up on the site. Please spend more time researching those companies who wish to put ads up on Somepage.
Administrator

Posted: 2006-04-05 15:43:34
Thanks for the site feedback.

We take this seriously, and have spent a lot of time trying to track it down. We weren't able to come up with any specific ads that tried to install anything, as you mentioned.

If anyone does see anything like that, please get the specific HTML code that shows where the ad came from, and leave feedback letting us know. We'll certainly remove any ads that cause such problems.

We also encourage everyone to considering using Firefox as a web browser, to reduce the chance of any sort of nefarious programs being inadvertently installed, as you browse the web in general. As far this site goes, we will certainly remove any ads that try to install spyware or other such programs; thanks in advance for any help you can give us with that.
Sponsors

Order: Final Fantasy XI Online: Wings of the Goddess Expansion Pack (PC)(PS2)(XBOX 360)
somepage.com privacy policy
All original content and graphics © 2004-2010 Somepage.com, Inc.. All FFXI content and images © 2002-2010 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. FINAL FANTASY is a registered trademark of Square Enix Co., Ltd..