Total: 404230283
Today: 15973
Yesterday: 23947

Items: 9505
Mobs: 4024
Recipes: 3285
NPCs: 2066
Quests: 570

Final Fantasy XI Discussion BoardDiscussion Boards -> Site Comments, Updates, and Corrections

Strange Apparatus mini-quest

Posted: 2006-01-26 19:16:46
The guide for the mini-quest states that if you are classed as an "assistant" by the machine, you can get as a possible reward 8 corresponding elemental clusters.

I just did that very thing, but I got one elemental cluster as a reward, not 8. I also checked a couple other sites, and none of them mention multiple clusters as a reward. How exactly do you get those 8 clusters?

Posted: 2006-01-27 23:47:17
It means that you get *1 of* 8 corresponding clusters. Ie, if you go to the wind-based machine, and you get unlucky, you get a wind cluster. If you go to fire machine, and get uncluky, you get fire cluster. Clusters are the "crap" drop from the machines. You can get rid of those by entering the correct password.

Posted: 2006-01-28 15:12:50
If that is the case, then the mini-quest walkthrough has some horrendous wording in it and should be changed. It currently implies down near the bottom of the rewards list that you can get 8 clusters at one time.

Posted: 2006-01-28 19:02:59
"Elemental Clusters x8 (Fire, Earth, Wind, Water, Light, Ice, Dark, or Lightning, based on the element of the Strange Apparatus..."

The 'or' gives it away. The 'based on the element' explanation also paints it as a choice rather than all of them together. Just have to read things in their entirety.

Posted: 2006-01-29 13:42:57
Quote from: Sheeny
"Elemental Clusters x8 (Fire, Earth, Wind, Water, Light, Ice, Dark, or Lightning, based on the element of the Strange Apparatus..."

The 'or' gives it away. The 'based on the element' explanation also paints it as a choice rather than all of them together. Just have to read things in their entirety.

I never meant to imply I thought that it was all of them together. It's that x8 part up there. To me, that says that you get 8 of that type of cluster.

If we can agree that the stuff in () is merely explaining the restrictions for gaining clusters out of an Apparatus, then the entry for Cluster rewards says "Elemental Clusters x8"

Do you see my confusion now?

Posted: 2006-01-31 10:22:37
As it does list 'Elemental Clusters x8' then this could be misleading. Depending on prices, a user could see that as 'not that bad' of a gain. I know on my server 8x fire would more then pay for the core/chip.
Administrator

Posted: 2006-02-01 16:47:59
Thanks for the info, everyone. The Strange Apparatus mini-quest was updated to be clearer on this, and to list the proper steps for the password entry.
Sponsors

Order: Final Fantasy XI Online: Wings of the Goddess Expansion Pack (PC)(PS2)(XBOX 360)
somepage.com privacy policy
All original content and graphics © 2004-2010 Somepage.com, Inc.. All FFXI content and images © 2002-2010 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. FINAL FANTASY is a registered trademark of Square Enix Co., Ltd..