Total: 404233098
Today: 2688
Yesterday: 16100

Items: 9505
Mobs: 4024
Recipes: 3285
NPCs: 2066
Quests: 570

Final Fantasy XI Discussion BoardDiscussion Boards -> Site Comments, Updates, and Corrections

Carmine Dobsonfly

Posted: 2005-11-13 22:58:17
Just thought I'd post this. Whoever pulls the 1st Carmine Dobsonfly in your PT or Alliance, will die. The only way the person wont die is if a PLD pulls and uses invincible right off the bat. Reason being is because no matter who pulls, even if a PLD uses invincible after someone else pulls, all the flies will come in and first, they will all use either slowga or aero II on the person who pulled the 1st one. On my 40THF, with about 600HP, I had 5 Aero II hit me for about 100-150 dmg a piece. Also had 2 slowga hit me that hit 3 of my PT members because i wasnt that close to them. So a warning to anyone who trys to kill this NM, have the PLD pull and use invincible right off the bat. I also wasted Perfect Dodge doing this, not knowing they used those attacks before they attack. I hope that this info helps any who plan on camping this in the future. Also, when they were all killed, we got 10 Dobson Bandanas (100% drop), 3 Voyager Sallet, and 3 Jaeger Ring. I didn't get anything except a Dobson Bandana. /cry

Posted: 2005-11-14 10:22:08
Problem is, Invincible doesn't protect you from magic ; ;

Posted: 2005-11-14 13:13:35
would a carby pull help out?

Posted: 2005-11-14 14:24:57
a carby pull might help as long as they leavecarbyout, if they dismiss the flies might pwn the SMN. lol. Ill be going back tomorrow (Tues.) and trying to do this again. Ill let you all know if it helps.

Posted: 2005-11-16 13:03:54
Pulling with an avatar DOES work. I HIGHLY advise that anyone who does do this NM, (even one with no SMN) have a mage sub SMN so they can pull with one. Makes it a LOT easier not having whoever pulls die. BTW, went back the second night and got 5 Jaeger Rings, and 0 Voyager Sallets. So don't expect to get a sallet every time or maybe not even a ring. Plus, we had 2 THFs both times that we did the run and our THFs hit every fly be4 they died with darts if that has anything to do with Treasure Hunter.
Administrator

Posted: 2005-11-22 20:46:46
A Summoner or Beastmaster pull is certainly helpful in this fight. Pulling usually isn't the hard part, or very dangerous, if you have crowd control (Bards and Black Mages) jobs to sleep/ballad the flies as they show up. The hard part is keeping the flies slept without the sleepers getting killed, since they'll be the ones with all the aggro soon enough...

Posted: 2005-11-23 21:30:13
I did this NM with my friends 10 over times. I only had death in my first attempt. Paladin and thief are bascially useless (I have to say all melee jobs are leechers for the drops).

Simple tactic to get this NM fast without death is you need 4-5 summoners. One of the summoner can sub thf for treasure hunter. Stoneskin and blink up before pulling the flies. Had 1 summoner pull the fly with Shiva and retreat. All flies will link together at this time. The rest of the summoners will use Shiva to attack the same fly the summoner pull. When all the flies are together, use Shiva "Diamond Dust" fast. 1-2 min of hardwork and all flies will be dead. Enjoy the drops, as well as the experience points too. (use an empess ring if you like ^^)

Posted: 2005-11-24 13:08:07
I just found out that somepage database state Carmine Dobsonfly drop Dbson Bandanna 100%. It is not 100%. During one run for this NM, "nothing" drop from these NMs. 1-2 times drop rings and sallets only, not a single bandanna. Hope this info helps. ^^

Posted: 2005-11-28 11:56:08
I would also like to post that we didnt get a drop everytime on the bandana, i remember my PT of 6 dying oince when we had the NIN pull. I was the only one left using perfect dodge and i kiled 1 fly solo spamming bloody bolts and nothing dropped.

Posted: 2005-11-28 19:55:42
Because the bandanas are rare/ex, if everyone in the party already has one no more will drop. Same principal as, say, dhalmel saliva in Buburimu. I always keep the first drop so that I don't have to deal with any more dropping when I farm them.

Posted: 2005-11-29 12:19:51
um, ur wrong there lol. If u ever camp Valkurm Emperor with a friend, (as in just 2 people in the PT, you and him). You might get more than 3 damselfly worms (rare/ex) in the treasure pool. I remember cycloning and getting 3 in the treasure pool. So yea, you can get more in treasure, u just cant have any more actually ON you.

Posted: 2005-11-29 13:46:42
When you actually have the items in your inventory, no more will drop.

In the example of 2 guys killing Damselflies, one/both of you didn't have the Damselfly Worm in your inventory so of course they dropped into Treasure Pool. Up to 10 copies could drop into that Treasure Pool. Once the one/both have received the Worm, they'll stop dropping period though.

Same would apply to Dobsonfly. If 6 people are there and at least 1 person does NOT have Bandana in inventory, each fly will drop a Bandana into Treasure Pool. If every has one, 0 will drop.

Posted: 2005-11-29 18:49:44
I know that chest keys will drop for me in KRT even if I already have one-- they just fall from the treasure pool immediately. Sorry, but that's not how things work.

Posted: 2005-11-30 15:12:47
Quote from: Sheeny
When you actually have the items in your inventory, no more will drop.

In the example of 2 guys killing Damselflies, one/both of you didn't have the Damselfly Worm in your inventory so of course they dropped into Treasure Pool. Up to 10 copies could drop into that Treasure Pool. Once the one/both have received the Worm, they'll stop dropping period though.

Same would apply to Dobsonfly. If 6 people are there and at least 1 person does NOT have Bandana in inventory, each fly will drop a Bandana into Treasure Pool. If every has one, 0 will drop.

On my first run on these NM, drops load of Bandana for us so everyone had one. I did this NM a few times because everyone also wants a ring and sallet. On some runs, it do drop bandana again.

Another question, I solo mobs and sometimes they drop chest amd coffer keys again, although I had them in my inventory already.

How you explains this?

Posted: 2005-12-01 09:18:02
Quote from: Mars
On my first run on these NM, drops load of Bandana for us so everyone had one. I did this NM a few times because everyone also wants a ring and sallet. On some runs, it do drop bandana again.

Another question, I solo mobs and sometimes they drop chest amd coffer keys again, although I had them in my inventory already.

How you explains this?

If all your Dobsonfly runs were the same people and Bandana drops again, it means one/some of them had tossed their Bandana from the previous run. (Most people don't keep it - mages don't need and any melee with Emperor/Empress Hairpin don't want.)

Chest/Coffer keys continuously drop even after you have one firmly in your inventory. It's an exception to the rule; I don't know why.

Posted: 2005-12-05 15:02:56
Well yea but then havnt you ever seen the message like this? "You find an empress hairpin on the Valkurm Emperor. You cannot obtain the empress hairpin." (Something along that effect) I remember camping for a friend and he d/ced halfway thru the fight. I kept killing it and at the end when i was gonna turn, I had a critical hit hit along with double attack and killed it. I already have one.

Explain that....

Posted: 2005-12-05 16:56:49
The burden of proof is on both of us, so "explain that" goes the same for the 100% drop bandanna not dropping at all for some parties.

Based on other examples and a lil bit of logic, the Dobson Bandanna will not drop if all members have it. Some items work this way, some don't. Chest/Coffer keys just about everyone has experienced excessive drops. Other items continue to drop as well. Some won't like the 2 hours I wasted trying to get extra Snow Lily in Uleguerand before slapping my head and realizing they were rare - which is why I got one in 2mins and then no more for 2hrs. (They've since been 'un-rared' by SE.)

All accounts of Dobson Bandannas has been 100% drop off each, until Mars and yourself. Explain that...

Posted: 2005-12-06 22:39:59
Just to let you know, Me and Mars aren't the only 2 people that have probably noticed this. Just because we're the only ones to post means nothing. And i specifically remember killing some flies and having nothing drop. How do I remember? Because when i went with a PT of 6, we would cast lots ASAP to make sure we got a drop before we wiped. Didn't have any SMNs or anything so we would kill a few at a time and RR.

So yea, explain that tough guy/girl....
Administrator

Posted: 2005-12-06 22:55:25
I have personally helped kill over a hundred Dobsonflies, and every one of them dropped a Dobson Bandanna. As far as I'm concerned, that's good enough to be considered a 100% drop rate.

It is interesting the difference in behavior for item drops of certain Rare/Exclusive items, when everyone in the party already has a copy. One theory is that all "usable" items (which includes coffer/chest keys, and anything else you can trade to something in a zone) will always drop regardless, but most other items won't.

Of course, there could be entirely other rules that we don't know about, which govern when an item drops or doesn't drop in these situations. It's also very likely that there were supposed to be clear rules about these things, but that some items weren't flagged properly on the server-side data. As anyone knows who has spent much time scanning the client FFXI data files, there is a definite lack of consistency when it comes to flagging items.

If anyone has further data about items that do (or do not) drop when everyone in the group has a copy, that would be useful to add to this discussion. Otherwise, there is little more to say; the Dobsonfly bandanna drops will stay listed as they are. I do appreciate all the info left so far on this topic, as it is one of those oddities in the game, that is hard to pin down.

Posted: 2005-12-07 02:20:24
as far as certain rare items dropping when they shouldnt (due to ownership of one), the exception to this rule is if the item name is yellow: aka usable.

coffer keys: yellow
mandragora buds: yellow

wasnt my finding, but it makes sense.
Sponsors

Order: Final Fantasy XI Online: Wings of the Goddess Expansion Pack (PC)(PS2)(XBOX 360)
somepage.com privacy policy
All original content and graphics © 2004-2010 Somepage.com, Inc.. All FFXI content and images © 2002-2010 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. FINAL FANTASY is a registered trademark of Square Enix Co., Ltd..