Total: 404255166
Today: 24756
Yesterday: 16100

Items: 9505
Mobs: 4024
Recipes: 3285
NPCs: 2066
Quests: 570

Final Fantasy XI Discussion BoardDiscussion Boards -> Site Comments, Updates, and Corrections

Garlaige Citadel mob oddity

Posted: 2005-07-06 17:18:10
I was running around as lv75 in a coffer hunt group. Was shocked when I caught aggro from 2 skeletons. So I killed them.

In a group of 4, with me as lv 75.

Fallen Major gave me 8 limit points, or 20-22 base. This puts him 62-63. The range is given as 59-62, so this is kosher if he is 62.
Fallen Mage gave me 7 limit points, or 18-19 base. This puts him 61. The range is given as 59-62, so this is kosher if he is 61.

Now the strange thing.
According to the chart at http://ffxi.somepage.com/links/exp_table.html, the 18 and 20-base xp in the "71+" column are greyed out. I always took this color-coding to indicate that the monsters would not aggro. Is this incorrect? I was certainly aggroed by a mob that gave me 18xp. Is there a rule of thumb as to when monsters will stop aggroing?
Administrator

Posted: 2005-07-06 20:40:59
Ah, that's one of those tricky questions I've never seen solid data on. I'm sure it's all broken down on a bunch of Japanese websites that detail this type of stuff, but I never got around to looking it up. This is all based on the bits and pieces of info I've picked up while playing the game.

My understanding of aggro is that it is not directly based on how much xp you get from the mob. I believe a standard aggressive mob will aggro anyone who is not 10+ levels higher than the mob's level. (Or maybe it's 11+ levels, I remember the "10 level difference" sticking in my head.) Since the exp you get (or whether you get xp at all) from a mob 10 or more levels below changes based on your level, that's not a good indicator. If you kill a mob 10 levels lower than you when you are level 15, you won't get any xp from it; you will get xp from a mob 10 levels lower than you at level 75. The corresponding way that most people explain it (If a mob /checks as Too Weak, it won't aggro you) is technically correct, but incomplete; high level characters can kill some Easy Prey mobs that they get experience from, who won't aggro them.

The extra factors that cause a mob to aggro are probably what kicked in here. The Aggressive to Low HP that all Undead have will activate regardless of level. The same is true for Aggressive to Resting mobs; they will aggro someone 50 levels higher, if the character rests near them. Oddly enough, this is not the case for the Aggressive to Casting Magic behavior: you can cast spells near an Elemental 20 levels lower than you, and they will never aggro from it.

I would guess that you were down some HP when you went by the Fallen mobs, and they aggroed from that. The Aggressive to Low HP behavior acts as a sliding scale: the lower percentage HP you have, the farther away the mob can be and still aggro you. I've never tested the reverse of this, to see if a lower level Undead mob will aggro you when you're missing just a sliver of HP, if you walk directly over them. But it may be the case that they can aggro even if you are very near full HP, if you get close enough to them.

Posted: 2005-07-07 17:46:13
Quote from: Cuer
My understanding of aggro is that it is not directly based on how much xp you get from the mob. I believe a standard aggressive mob will aggro anyone who is not 10+ levels higher than the mob's level. (Or maybe it's 11+ levels, I remember the "10 level difference" sticking in my head.) Since the exp you get (or whether you get xp at all) from a mob 10 or more levels below changes based on your level, that's not a good indicator. If you kill a mob 10 levels lower than you when you are level 15, you won't get any xp from it; you will get xp from a mob 10 levels lower than you at level 75. The corresponding way that most people explain it (If a mob /checks as Too Weak, it won't aggro you) is technically correct, but incomplete; high level characters can kill some Easy Prey mobs that they get experience from, who won't aggro them.

Hm, I always went by the "11 or less can aggro" rule at high levels. Certainly this isn't an infallible rule, as at low levels things 11 levels lower are easy prey. There seems to be a sliding scale as to when something will aggro you or not. Since the whole /check system is based on the amount of XP the monster would give you if killed solo, I always figured that aggro was based on this too.

The extra factors that cause a mob to aggro are probably what kicked in here. The Aggressive to Low HP that all Undead have will activate regardless of level. The same is true for Aggressive to Resting mobs; they will aggro someone 50 levels higher, if the character rests near them. Oddly enough, this is not the case for the Aggressive to Casting Magic behavior: you can cast spells near an Elemental 20 levels lower than you, and they will never aggro from it.

I don't think there really is an "aggressive to resting". I think the aggro system just sets your effective check level to 1 when resting. If a monster is aggressive and detects you, it aggros if 1) you are resting or 2) your level is not way above.

I have never witnessed a normally-passive monster aggro someone who is resting.

Furthermore, I don't know that Aggressive to Low Hp to kick in at any point. I've run around portions of Eldieme in the past with HP yellow or worse, confident that nothing will aggro me. However, as soon as you start resting, the undead detect you via low HP an will aggro by condition 1) above.

I would guess that you were down some HP when you went by the Fallen mobs, and they aggroed from that. The Aggressive to Low HP behavior acts as a sliding scale: the lower percentage HP you have, the farther away the mob can be and still aggro you. I've never tested the reverse of this, to see if a lower level Undead mob will aggro you when you're missing just a sliver of HP, if you walk directly over them. But it may be the case that they can aggro even if you are very near full HP, if you get close enough to them.

Not sure about this. As far as I can tell, blood-aggro distance seems to be fairly constant, as I've had some practice pulling skeletons by proximity while injured in KRT. A decent test would be to get on the edge of a skeleton's blood aggro range as a low level character in Gusgen, and then quaff a poison/venom potion, and see if it aggros as your HP reaches critical.

As for this oddity, I am pretty sure I was at full health when I was aggroed; we hadn't fought anything in Garlaige up to this point, as the rest of the team was using stealthing medicines. Maybe the aggro level at 75 is 61+?
Sponsors

Order: Final Fantasy XI Online: Wings of the Goddess Expansion Pack (PC)(PS2)(XBOX 360)
somepage.com privacy policy
All original content and graphics © 2004-2010 Somepage.com, Inc.. All FFXI content and images © 2002-2010 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. FINAL FANTASY is a registered trademark of Square Enix Co., Ltd..