Total: 404256353
Today: 25943
Yesterday: 16100

Items: 9505
Mobs: 4024
Recipes: 3285
NPCs: 2066
Quests: 570

Final Fantasy XI Discussion BoardDiscussion Boards -> Site Comments, Updates, and Corrections

Chest and Coffer Guide

Administrator

Posted: 2005-06-09 03:53:11
A new Chests and Coffers Guide has been posted, with a basic walkthrough of information on those, as well as a list of all the chest and coffer contents on the site. If any pertinent info about chests and coffers is missing, please post it here; it was written rather quickly, and may be missing some things.

One part of it that is rather weak involves picking a chest/coffer as a Thief. I know there are a lot of posts and guides that talk about this, but since I haven't done it myself I'm not sure how accurate they are. Any thoughts on specifics of that from high level thieves would be especially welcome.

Thanks!

-- Cuer

Posted: 2005-06-09 09:24:57
Great job on the guide. A few comments:

There is also a chance that the Thief will be affected by a powerful weakness, which cannot be removed except by wearing off over time or by the death of the character; it can last from 10 minutes up to an hour.

It's worth noting that the failure weakness is only a possible outcome of picking chests, not coffers.

You can't open chests/coffers while invisible, but you can while you have Sneak on if you keep in mind that Sneak will fall as soon as you attempt to open the box.

Also, Mimics have a 100% drop rate on their respective coffer keys. They're quite easily solo'd at THF75/NIN37 if the place they pop is safe from aggro. With marksmanship leveled they're probably also soloable around 70 with good gear and bolts.

When opening a coffer for a key item for a quest, you can do it on any job. This means that if you have Thief leveled, you have one less coffer key to farm for your other jobs' AF (the gloves).

Posted: 2005-06-09 09:27:56
Oops. Too early in the morning, didn't see that you already covered the sneak/invis issues. :P

Posted: 2005-06-09 09:47:55
Ordelle's Caves chest will give you the key item "Torn Out Pages" if you are on the quest "Signed In Blood". I'm not sure what you would get if you were also on RSE quest at the same time.

Posted: 2005-06-09 18:32:48
Omission:

Temple Crown in Garlaige Citadel Coffer is only attainable by Monks.

Also, is it confirmed r2 scroll can load in Quicksands? It's been a rumor for like 10 months now, but I've never talked to anyone personally who had done it. I've only ever gotten gil (after my map) and I've opened it 4 or 5 times.
Administrator

Posted: 2005-06-13 13:14:42
Thanks for the info, folks; I'll be updating the guide in the next few days to reflect all this.
It's worth noting that the failure weakness is only a possible outcome of picking chests, not coffers.

Are you saying that only a chest can produce weakness, or that a chest only produces weakness and not a mimic? My understanding was that a chest can have a simple failure or weakness; a coffer can have a simple failure, weakness or a mimic. If that's not correct, I'll have to update it accordingly.

There's more info I'd like to include about the Thief approach to chests/coffers; there's a lot of info, for example, in this old post on Allakhazam about it, but I don't know how much of it is accurate. How are the three different types of thief tools different from each other, and does the level of the thief compared to the level of the mob in the dungeon really matter? Any more info along those lines would be appreciated; if anyone has enough experience about that to write up a full current guide, we can certainly host that, instead.

Posted: 2005-06-13 23:17:38
Hi Cuer!
Quote from: Cuer
Are you saying that only a chest can produce weakness, or that a chest only produces weakness and not a mimic? My understanding was that a chest can have a simple failure or weakness; a coffer can have a simple failure, weakness or a mimic. If that's not correct, I'll have to update it accordingly.

Sorry for not being clear. Attempts at picking chests can result in a simple failure (lose the tool), weakness (lose the tool, become Weakened), or success. Attempts at picking coffers can result in a simple failure, popping a Mimic, or success. Coffers will not cause weakness.

How are the three different types of thief tools different from each other, and does the level of the thief compared to the level of the mob in the dungeon really matter?

I think most high level thieves agree that the type of key used does affect success rate of the attempt--Skeleton Key being the most effective at any given time, and Thief's Tools being the least. I highly doubt the validity of the information in that Alla thread regarding Thief's Tools being the most effective at high levels, or that Living Keys pop more Mimics than others. The level of the thief compared to what "tier" the chest is does also seem to matter. The "tier" can be determined by the range of the gil found inside (or roughly, by the level of the enemies in the zone). There seem to be around 5 tiers of chests, whereas all coffers seem to be on the same tier.

Of course, lots of people have their own beliefs about lockpicking and what affects it. Factors such as moon phase, INT, and DEX are rumored to affect success rate... but really, at THF75 you don't really fail often enough to worry about the 2.5k key you just wasted picking the lock, you're probably loaded up with +40 DEX anyway, and you're probably not going to go out of your way to buy INT equipment unless you have RDM or BLM leveled.
Administrator

Posted: 2005-06-18 18:14:57
Excellent info all around; I'll be updating the Coffer and Chest Guide with much of that.

For now, all the Mimic mobs have been updated with basic info, and should all have the appropriate coffer key drop as well.

Posted: 2005-06-20 08:54:13
Excellent information.

Just a small thing that bugs me.

Blue text with a blue background does makit hard to read.
I know its easy to tell what type of key is required for chest/coffer, but to have it hard to read makes it kinda pointless.

Key Required: Beadeaux Chest Key

Posted: 2005-06-21 09:25:14
Oh, one thing that I failed to notice when taking a look at your guide the first time is that it doesn't make it clear that thieves can use tools to pick coffers for any key items, even for the Old Gauntlets for any jobs' AF gloves. (e.g., I'm leveling RNG in the 50s and I want my gloves, so I activate the quest as RNG, but I use THF and bring Skeleton Keys to Garlaige) Or if you don't have thief leveled, you can still open your AF gloves coffer on any other job if you have the coffer key. I'm asked this all the time by people who are leveling second jobs, etc.
Administrator

Posted: 2005-06-26 17:01:38
Thanks for the info, everyone. The guide has been updated further, and it should cover the points made above. It should be essentially complete at this point, apart from the specific items listed below.

Quote from: Aurik
Omission:
Temple Crown in Garlaige Citadel Coffer is only attainable by Monks.

Hopefully I'll be able to fill in info for that in the future; right now we don't have a field for that data. They sure managed to pile a lot of AF items into that zone...

Also, is it confirmed r2 scroll can load in Quicksands? It's been a rumor for like 10 months now, but I've never talked to anyone personally who had done it. I've only ever gotten gil (after my map) and I've opened it 4 or 5 times.

I double checked on this drop, and couldn't find solid evidence that it definitely still loads there, so I've removed it. If it shows up again, it can eaisly be added.

Quote from: Midnightcalm
Blue text with a blue background does makit hard to read.
I know its easy to tell what type of key is required for chest/coffer, but to have it hard to read makes it kinda pointless.

Key Required: Beadeaux Chest Key

That's a good point. I'll see if we can tweak the colors on that display sometime soon.
Sponsors

Order: Final Fantasy XI Online: Wings of the Goddess Expansion Pack (PC)(PS2)(XBOX 360)
somepage.com privacy policy
All original content and graphics © 2004-2010 Somepage.com, Inc.. All FFXI content and images © 2002-2010 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. FINAL FANTASY is a registered trademark of Square Enix Co., Ltd..