Total: 404678374
Today: 2665
Yesterday: 25763

Items: 9505
Mobs: 4024
Recipes: 3285
NPCs: 2066
Quests: 570

Final Fantasy XI Discussion BoardDiscussion Boards -> Crafting, Chocobo Digging, and Fishing

pelican ring

Posted: 2006-06-04 18:22:47
i was looking up an armor piece to help skill up fishing and found pelican ring in the database, but does not say where to get this ring. it is ex/rare and i was wondering if anyone knows how to get one? is it a quest? an NM? an event?

Posted: 2006-06-05 12:43:24
Hello,

Its kind of involved actually. Basically, you have to fish up or buy Bhafel Marlin and turn them into an NPC named Zaldon as part of the "Inside the Belly" quest. Two of the items that are possibly found in that fish, are the Brigand Chart, and the Pirate Chart.

If you get the Brigand Chart, you have to go to Burburimu and trade it to some ??? and you basically speed fish some chests up. One of the items in the 5th chest is the Penguin Ring.

If you get the Pirate Chart, you trade it to some ??? in Valkrum Dunes. This will pull you into an NM fight. It caps you at 20 and only allows three people total in your party (outside people cannot influence anything, ie, no cures etc). That battle has 3 mobs that spawn that you have to defeat. Two of the biggest drops for that are the Albatross Ring, and the Mercurial Kris.

The ring drops relatively frequently, however, the drop rates for the charts and the Kris are purely evil.

For myself, I run about 25 Marlin to get a Pirate Chart, and about 20 to get the Brigand (both are Ra/Ex). After that, in speaking with people who have done it, the Kris drops about once every 20 - 30 times you do the fight. I got the ring the second time we did the battle.

Soooo... all in all, to have a relatively guaranteed drop of the Kris (and I am definitely sure you can get the ring by then) you would have to trade in roughly 750 marlin. After that, you also have to beat 3 NMs in a level 20 capped fight 30 times lol. I mention the kris because it has sold for alot of gil. The least I have personally seen was 30 mil, the most I have read about, was a 120 mil.

And for the last bit of good news, at lvl 42 fishing, I can pull up marlin, just not well or regularly, and they go for about 10k a piece on my server.

Good luck, and I hope this helped.

Pen

Posted: 2006-06-07 15:39:44
Pelican ring is different from Penguin ring/Albatross ring, former is for fishing skillup, whereas latter is for the Pirate chart "quest"... And I don't know where the Kris fit in this picture, but okay, let's skip that part.

Pelican ring is obtained from fish ranking. I believe the requested fish changes each month, each server varies, easiest is just to check at Selbina Fishing Guild yourself. I am not sure if the ring is the prize for ranking 1st in the contest, or the top 10 get the ring as reward, as I haven't bothered to try this fish ranking yet, but yes, it is a fact that this ring is a prize of this "Fish Ranking".

Just look up "Fish Ranking" and you should find this ring, how to get it, etc.

Posted: 2006-06-07 17:18:40
omg you're right, I spaced Pelican and was thinking Penguin. My apologies.

Pen

Posted: 2006-06-14 14:00:32
And 4th chest is Penguin ring + 3 Yellow Globes. Not 5th.

Posted: 2006-07-26 22:10:27
Quote from: Namtar
Pelican ring is different from Penguin ring/Albatross ring, former is for fishing skillup, whereas latter is for the Pirate chart "quest"... And I don't know where the Kris fit in this picture, but okay, let's skip that part.

Pelican ring is obtained from fish ranking. I believe the requested fish changes each month, each server varies, easiest is just to check at Selbina Fishing Guild yourself. I am not sure if the ring is the prize for ranking 1st in the contest, or the top 10 get the ring as reward, as I haven't bothered to try this fish ranking yet, but yes, it is a fact that this ring is a prize of this "Fish Ranking".

Just look up "Fish Ranking" and you should find this ring, how to get it, etc.

top 10 get the ring, 1-5 get speacial titles i believe.
Sponsors

Order: Final Fantasy XI Online: Wings of the Goddess Expansion Pack (PC)(PS2)(XBOX 360)
somepage.com privacy policy
All original content and graphics © 2004-2010 Somepage.com, Inc.. All FFXI content and images © 2002-2010 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. FINAL FANTASY is a registered trademark of Square Enix Co., Ltd..