Total: 404678974
Today: 3265
Yesterday: 25763

Items: 9505
Mobs: 4024
Recipes: 3285
NPCs: 2066
Quests: 570

Final Fantasy XI Discussion BoardDiscussion Boards -> Crafting, Chocobo Digging, and Fishing

Where are the Crystals?

Posted: 2006-03-21 15:45:40
I've noticed that mobs that are "too weak to be worthwhile" really just don't drop crystals anymore for me. Am I imagining this? I need more fire and wind crystals and hate that the AH prices are outrageous for them, especially as I am still in the early stages of building my craft.

Not sure what my options are for getting my hands on more of the crystals I need without spending a fortune on them.

Any suggestions?

Posted: 2006-03-22 09:14:22
You can only obtain crystals from Easy Prey and higher. And only with Signet on in areas not controlled by the beastmen. And not sea.

Posted: 2006-03-22 09:19:21
You are right. Mobs that are too weak to be worthwhile will no longer drop crystals for you. Also, no crystals will drop from mobs in areas that are under beastman control. You must fight mobs at least easy prey for a chance at a crystal drop.

You've reached a point in your progress, that is frustrating to all. Crystals are vital to the crafter. Depending on your character level, it may be time to move onto elementals. Elementals always drop at least 1 cluster...wind, earth, water, etc. (1 cluster = 12 crystals.) Since I do not know your job/level/nation it is hard to advise you where to start this process.

You may need to find an easy prey mob, that drops a crystal..for example, depending on level...maybe fungars. Fungars drop dark crystals. I used to farm fungars, for the dark crystals, sell the dark crystals to buy the elusive fire crystals I needed for my crafting. I did this until my character was strong enough to survive battles with elementals. Elemental hunting is now my best source of crystals, and an elemental will drop at least 1 cluster every time you kill one!

Posted: 2006-03-22 09:21:08
To get crystals to drop the mob needs to be easy prey up...

best bet on getting crystals is to take a low lvl job 4+ and go to Ghelsba Outpost, should get plenty of fire crystals there killing orcs and lizards... when you hit about lvl 8 or 9 most things there go easy prey and are easy to farm,

Posted: 2006-03-22 09:59:29
You need to get xp for crystals to drop. So mobs must be Easy Prey or higher. Also, the area can not be controlled by beastmen.

Posted: 2006-03-24 11:22:23
Elementals always drop at least 1 cluster...wind, earth, water, etc. (1 cluster = 12 crystals.) Since I do not know your job/level/nation it is hard to advise you where to start this process.

I am a Lvl 25, Hume THF from Bastok and spend most of my time around the Bastok area. However, I did recently travel to Windhurst to help some friends on their missions. During that time I fought both a Wind and Earth Elementals. Both were EP. Yes, I was in a party and I was watching the text and even asked my friends, neither of these Elementals dropped a cluster. I (was lvl. 23 at that time) Both EP for me but neither dropped a Cluster.

When you do get a cluster, how do you make crystals out of it?

Posted: 2006-03-24 23:34:01
There's a command to split the clusters when you select them and it splits them into a stack of that particular element

Posted: 2006-04-04 01:12:09
Just use the cluster from the item list...it will break into a stack of crystals

Posted: 2006-04-19 09:49:46
Quote from: EvilJayden
Elementals always drop at least 1 cluster...wind, earth, water, etc. (1 cluster = 12 crystals.) Since I do not know your job/level/nation it is hard to advise you where to start this process.

I am a Lvl 25, Hume THF from Bastok and spend most of my time around the Bastok area. However, I did recently travel to Windhurst to help some friends on their missions. During that time I fought both a Wind and Earth Elementals. Both were EP. Yes, I was in a party and I was watching the text and even asked my friends, neither of these Elementals dropped a cluster. I (was lvl. 23 at that time) Both EP for me but neither dropped a Cluster.

When you do get a cluster, how do you make crystals out of it?

The elemental you may have fought could have been the yagudo elementals.... i had the same mistake because at 25.. even with a party i think it would be hard to kill them since a 25 would be doing low dmg even in a party?

Posted: 2006-04-19 15:47:58
Quote from: Fidgetaru
The elemental you may have fought could have been the yagudo elementals.... i had the same mistake because at 25.. even with a party i think it would be hard to kill them since a 25 would be doing low dmg even in a party?

I'm a level 25 Thief and when I check an elemental in one of the zones with the Crags (LTP, Konschaat, etc...) they check as 'Easy Prey'. These, I think, may be the elementals that drop the clusters, but I don't know. Can someone confirm that?

Posted: 2006-04-19 15:48:29
If you were in the Windy area, you were probably fighting Yag elementals. These elementals are "pets" to the Yags, and do not drop clusters. Clusters are only dropped by free standing elementals. When you enter an area, check by your clock on the lower left side of the screen. If you see and elemental symbol..This means elementals of that type are up in the area. An elemental will only pop if the weather is condusive. Windy day-wind elemental, hot day, fire elemental, etc.

At level 25, you are still a little low to battle most elementals alone. They can be very hard fights. In a party, you may be able to beat some of them. Remember that an elemental is usually one of the strongest mobs in a region. If I am in the Dunes, and earth or fire weather pops, then earth or fire elementals will be present. These elementals are much stronger than any normal mob in the area, but you should be ok with a partner or party in you level 25 range...30 would be easier. When the elemental drops its cluster, you just select it from inventory, and use it. Using it will break it into 12 crystals.

Just remember the area you are in...if you can defeat all the mobs in the area, then you have a chance to defeat the elementals.

Posted: 2006-04-25 11:29:19
Keep in mind that elementals are very strong against physical attack. It's best to fight them as a mage combination so you can debuff their attack types, and attack them with their weakness. I.E. When attacking a Fire Elemental, it's best to BarFire before attacking, Silence as your 'provoke' attack, and then spam your highest Fire opposing spell.
Sponsors

Order: Final Fantasy XI Online: Wings of the Goddess Expansion Pack (PC)(PS2)(XBOX 360)
somepage.com privacy policy
All original content and graphics © 2004-2010 Somepage.com, Inc.. All FFXI content and images © 2002-2010 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. FINAL FANTASY is a registered trademark of Square Enix Co., Ltd..