Total: 404678887
Today: 3178
Yesterday: 25763

Items: 9505
Mobs: 4024
Recipes: 3285
NPCs: 2066
Quests: 570

Final Fantasy XI Discussion BoardDiscussion Boards -> Crafting, Chocobo Digging, and Fishing

Fishing?

Posted: 2005-09-16 15:10:06
i was wondering if there is any place to find skill caps for fish and where to catch all the fish i have found many sites but they mainly focus on just fish to skill up on. can you help me?
Administrator

Posted: 2005-09-19 13:09:44
We're working on designing a fishing database to add to this site, which will provide that information. In the meantime, check out the FFXI Resource Repository for links to numerous sites that deal with fishing.

Posted: 2005-11-18 17:22:15
the best site i've found so far, and by far an excellent site, is Clanwind's fishing data base.
www.clanwind.com/ffxi/fishing/default.asp
it has most of the fish available to be fished (although i found they don't yet have cone calamary), where to fish them, soft and hard caps for each fish, guild points per fish and number needed to cap GP for the day, baits for each fish, and much much more. i use it religiously every day, even when i'm not fishing. their moon phase/day calendar is indispensible for gardening, synthing and many other things. hope this helps.

Posted: 2005-11-22 20:16:12
Unfortunately, clanwind is terribly out of date. I am aware of several people working on improved databases to handle the post-update fishing information, but in the meantime, check out Titanictus.Com for good fishing discussion.

Posted: 2005-12-01 15:42:06
Akirus has made a great guide for fishing. It includes everything you need to know about rods, bait etc. There are a lot of great guides for fishing for lu shang, skill up and gil as well.

http://www.titanictus.com/viewtopic.php?t=752

Posted: 2005-12-05 04:04:18
No matter how many fish I catch I never seem to gain anything in my fishing skill & I've had the same problem with previous characters. I am signed up to the guild so that's not the problem. Is it rarer to gain in fishing skill than it is other crafts or is something else preventing me from gaining any skill per catch?
Thanks

Posted: 2005-12-07 06:07:58
http://www.clanwind.com/ffxi/fishing/
check if you are fishing for the right lvl fish!
And yes, fishing has rare skillups, 0-0.5 per hour.
I would feel happy with 0.5 in a hour.

Keep at it...

Posted: 2005-12-07 08:34:08
Finally managed a 0.2 gain in fishing last night, whereas from cooking the fish I've been catching (crayfish -> Boiled Crayfish) I've gained ~1.5 in cooking. So it does indeed seem that fishing is much slower to gain in skill than the other crafts.

Posted: 2006-03-17 03:00:39
Fishing is much slower than any other craft to level. Usually, my main source of income is Gardening and Fishing.

In my opinion, there are two main difficulties in leveling fishing.

The first one, you are capped in the number of fish you can catch in a 24 hour period (this resets at Japanese midnight, or 10 am Central Time in the US). The most fish you can catch is 200 in one day (for example, Moat Carp). However, different fish will prevent you from being able to catch a full 200. For example, there are fish that you can only catch 40 - 50 of. This is often times called "capping" or, it has described as you being "fatigued". When this happens, you will get the message "You dont catch anything" over and over. This built in limit means that you have a finite amount of skill that can be gained in a single day. With others crafts, you can keep increasing your skill on a given day until you run out of money, supplies, or storage space :-)

The second big thing with fishing is about making a decision. Well... to be honest... two big decisions.

1. Do you want to fish to raise your skill, or do you want to fish to make money?

This can sometimes be the same fish that you catch. You can make good money off of low level fish. For example Moat Carps. They are level 11 and can easily be caught be a level 1 fisherman. They sell for about 10 - 16k a stack on my server. The bait for this (insect balls) is about 1k a stack. On the other hand, combining higher level cooking and higher level fishing can earn some fishermen several hundred thousand gill a day. For example fishing up Black Sole and making Sole Sushi off of it.

2. Do you want to BE a fisher person, or just make money?

If you want to just make money, you can make a decent amount by getting your skill anywere from level 30 - 50. If you plan on being a fisher person and leveling fishing past 50, you will really need to get the Lu Shang's fishing rod. This rod is a reward for a quest that requires you to turn in 10,000 moat carp. Yes... thats right... 10,000 moat carp (seriously, I am not kidding, thats 4 zeros in that number :-). If you plan on going for that rod, I suggest starting the quest early, and every time you fish, spend a little time getting the moat carp. Because you are capped at only getting 200 a day, it will take you a minimum of 50 days to get it, assuming you fished until you couldnt do it any more, only fished on one charactor, and did NOT catch any items or monsters lol.

I know this is an intimidating number, and a HUGE time investment, but it could be worth it. One of the fish that you can catch with that rod is Rygu Titan. They usually sell for about 100k - 250k a piece (they dont stack) and I just saw one go for 500,000.

Kind of a parting thought. Some fish are "fighters" and can be hard to reel in, regardless of what level fish it is. There are, however, some fish that are really easy. For example, shall shells. You can easily start catching Shall Shells at level 20, and its a level 53 fish, so you get lots of skill ups. Incidentily, on my server it also sells well (about 20k a stack).

I hope this helps, and was not exceedingly annoying. Earlier someone mentioned titanticus and Clan Wind database as good places to go for information. This is correct. I also found these two sites to be helpful:

http://kida.theill.com/

Kida's website basically took the idea of Clan Wind... and made it better. It is also frequently updated and the author (Kida) is very open to suggestions.

The second site is http://www.lisaarndt.com/phpBB2/index.php

Personally, I find both forums (http://www.lisaarndt.com/phpBB2/index.php and http://www.titanictus.com/) to be fairly good.)

Personaly, I think that the first one is more friendly to new fisher folk, but completely intolerent to contraversial topics (such as the use of bots) where as titanictus is more open for the alternative topics, but tend to be a bit cold towards new posters (though they warm up fairly quickly).

I hope this was useful and not a waste of your time.

Good Luck

Pen
Sponsors

Order: Final Fantasy XI Online: Wings of the Goddess Expansion Pack (PC)(PS2)(XBOX 360)
somepage.com privacy policy
All original content and graphics © 2004-2010 Somepage.com, Inc.. All FFXI content and images © 2002-2010 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. FINAL FANTASY is a registered trademark of Square Enix Co., Ltd..