Total: 404680747
Today: 5038
Yesterday: 25763

Items: 9505
Mobs: 4024
Recipes: 3285
NPCs: 2066
Quests: 570

Final Fantasy XI Discussion BoardDiscussion Boards -> Crafting, Chocobo Digging, and Fishing

subcrafting caps

Posted: 2005-06-08 17:52:40
I think it's a shame that all the subcraft caps are listed as completely unknown, when we actually have some information about them.

For example, I've made dozens of errant synths and never gotten a gold skillup, ranging from 48-52 gold. This is a pretty good indicator that the goldsmithing requirement is less than this.

I've done a lot of baron slops, and have about a 50% hq rate on this with 60 leather. This is a pretty good indicator that the leathercraft requirement is less than 10.

It's really too bad all this information is lost behind an ambiguous "?".
Administrator

Posted: 2005-06-09 14:32:15
Those are some very good points; it would be nice to be able to provide more information about skill caps than we currently do. Unfortunately, there's really no way to do a "greater than 20" or "less than 50" type of value in our current setup. The other problem with trying to put in information like that is that it will always be less accurate than information from the NPCs, or skillups on the primary skill.

To help get more definite numbers on the many recipes that don't have them, we'd like to eventually put in an easy way for crafters to submit information about which recipes are given from each guild NPC, at each crafting level. Having that information would narrow down the recipe caps to a very small range, or to the exact number precisely if given enough data. If we can get that in down the road, it should add a lot of data about the crafting caps on almost all the recipes.

Posted: 2005-06-09 18:23:58
The main difficulty is that in-game NPCs don't give you any information about subcraft levels. They will give you the recipe for Errant slops, for example, whether your leather is 0 or 60.

I have a lot of pretty interesting and arcane knowledge about subcraft caps for certain clothcraft recipes I make a lot of, but it's not easily reflected because I can't prove an exact number.
Administrator

Posted: 2005-06-10 13:12:56
Quote from: Aurik
The main difficulty is that in-game NPCs don't give you any information about subcraft levels. They will give you the recipe for Errant slops, for example, whether your leather is 0 or 60.

Wouldn't a lower level Leathercrafter be able to get the recipe as they level up, by talking to the Leathercraft NPCs? If we can get the info from the NPCs for all of the guilds in a recipe, that should take care of filling in the unknown areas.

I have a lot of pretty interesting and arcane knowledge about subcraft caps for certain clothcraft recipes I make a lot of, but it's not easily reflected because I can't prove an exact number.

It does seem like there should be some way to capture that information. We might be able to set up a way to list the recipe rank (Amateur, Recruit, etc.) for each skill in a recipe; if the general range of a skill cap is known, that could help show that more vague data. We'll have to see what can be done; I would certainly like to get as much information as possible about the recipes, if that's possible without giving up the precision of the current lists.

Posted: 2005-06-13 01:29:42
Quote from: Cuer
Wouldn't a lower level Leathercrafter be able to get the recipe as they level up, by talking to the Leathercraft NPCs? If we can get the info from the NPCs for all of the guilds in a recipe, that should take care of filling in the unknown areas.

Unfortunately, since Errant Slops are a clothcraft-main recipe, they will never be given to you by a leathercraft guildsman. The only NPC that will give you the recipe is a clothcraft guildsman, and thus the only information you can derive from this is the clothcraft level.

This means the only way to deduce the leathercraft cap for this recipe is to actually skill up leather on it, or have insufficient leathercraft to attempt it, or statistically show that you meet the criteria for 10% HQ rate, meaning that its leather cap is 11 or more below your effective leather skill.
Sponsors

Order: Final Fantasy XI Online: Wings of the Goddess Expansion Pack (PC)(PS2)(XBOX 360)
somepage.com privacy policy
All original content and graphics © 2004-2010 Somepage.com, Inc.. All FFXI content and images © 2002-2010 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. FINAL FANTASY is a registered trademark of Square Enix Co., Ltd..